Friday, July 24, 2009

Should I read Wanted?

The long and short of it: No
When was it made: 2003

Written by Frank Millar and illustrated by J.G. Jones, The Sunday Times said that Wanted was Watchmen for supervillains. The Sunday Times also said that Outland was Star Wars for cowboys (I doubt many people will understand that joke, but let me tell you it is both witty and sarcastic). I wouldn't say Wanted is horrible, but it isn't good either. After I had put it down, I simply went on to another book. It didn't raise any real issues that applied to me, and while the introductory concept was interesting you can't make an entire book out of a premise. You need to finish the rest of the story at some point in there. Going back to the Watchmen comment, let me just say this: Watchmen was written in 1986 and is still one of the most relevant works of fiction on the market; Wanted was written 17 years later and was barely relevant then.

Wanted has garnered some attention as mentioned above, but it became much more mainstream last summer when a movie was released with the same name. Some would say the movie was based on the book, but just because the main character shares a name and they both revolve around daddy issues of some kind does not a faithful translation make. The movie is entirely different: different plot, new characters, and better writing (at least it doesn't take itself as seriously as the comic does).

Now, as I said before, the book wasn't unreadable. But I feel I needed to come down extra hard because of all those fans who worship the ground the book walks on. It is filled with violence, sex, and swearing. It is very sophomoric in it's humor, with such award winning characters as a man made entirely of feces or a villainous phallus that forces it's "wielder" to perform his evil deeds. So, if you're looking for an inspiring or revolutionary work, or are considering reading it because you liked the movie, don't read it. If you're looking for a sophomoric book filled with the aforementioned sex, swearing, and violence (which, hey, everybody wants that every once in a while) than go ahead-I'd just recommend borrowing it until you know for sure you want to buy it.

Now, here's the deal: the problem I see with the book is that there is really no empathy or motivation for the horrible things the characters do in the book. They are merely a bunch of sociopaths doing evil deeds for evils sake- it doesn't even have the whole "non-anti-hero" satire that I love Lobo for. As Tycho from Penny Arcade put it, America isn't ready for a protagonist who is an unrepentant rapist. They try to give the characters some human attributes and make Wesley seem somewhat human, but it is too little to late, and completely contradicted by the last page in the book. I personally hated it when Wesley started getting his revenge: there's a line about how his super power is "killing people" and how that makes him the most bad of the bad. My question is, if that power allows him to kill all these villains solo, how come his dad never did the same thing to the heroes? It seems like Frank Millar had his Mary Sue, and it ruined the story. It does have its good moments, though. The only scene in the entire book that is memorable to me is when the Professor describes the rise of the villains. It seems to be the only part that was taken seriously during writing, and the panel with, as I like to call him, "non-superman" sitting and looking out the window is the only part that elicited an emotional reaction from me. Maybe if Wanted had run a bit longer the exposition would have come, but as is I think it suffers from being an incomplete work that had potential to actually be the Watchmen of supervillains.

No comments:

Post a Comment