Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Should I read Watchmen?

The long and short of it: Yes.
When was it made: 1986

Written by Alan Moore and illustrated by Dave Gibbons, Watchmen is by far the best serious graphic novel I have ever read (my personal favorite overall is Bone, but that's neither here nor there). It deals with issues that are still incredibly relevant in today's society, showing that great works have the ability to be timeless regardless of medium. I started reading it skeptically, sure that it would join the stacks of books through which I thumb to feel trendy but have never read entirely, but soon found that the book had swept me up into its world and had rendered me unable to put it down until I had finished it. By soon, of course, I mean eight hours later, the first time I managed to look up from the page.

The book has received considerable hype due to the movie of the same name being released this past winter, but the movie does not even come close to replacing the book, but it follows too closely to be a standalone product. If anything, the movie is a companion to the book, simplifying certain scenes or clarifying meanings with the use of full body language and vocal tones.

The fact remains, though, that this is a comic book. If you hate superhero comics (a pox upon you, sir or madam), be comforted to know that this is quite a different style. The characters behave more like normal people than denizens of the DC or Marvel universes, and superpowers are rare. If you enjoy character development and love a detailed story, this is for you. If you want tons of thoughtless action and dislike extensive reading, you may want to look elsewhere.

My favorite character is the Comedian (I'll wait-it must be shocking to find someone who isn't a blind devotee of Rorschach). Not because of who he is, but what he represents, and how well he represents it. Maybe that's just me being a, to quote Yahtzee Croshaw, "literary fag," but I love how this simple characters is the embodiment of such a profound message. However, the moment that sticks with me the most is from one of the world expanding expositional pieces found at the end of each chapter. "...I never said 'The superman exists and he's American'.[sic] What I said was 'God exists, and he's American'.[sic] If that statement starts to chill you after a couple of moments' consideration, then don't be alarmed. A feeling of intense and crushing religious terror at the concept indicates only that you are still sane. " I love this line because it is a summary statement for the issue at the core of Watchmen, and it would be remiss of you to not experience it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment